Tuesday, April 7, 2009

An Irish Airman Foresees his Death.

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above;
Those that I fight I do not hate
Those that I guard I do not love;

My country is Kiltartan Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
Nor public man, nor cheering crowds,
A lonely impulse of delight
Drove to this tumult in the clouds;

I balanced all, brought all to mind,
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind
In balance with this life, this death.
 
Poem by W.B.Yeats
Interesting tidbits-This was written in response to the death in World War One of Major Robert Gregory who was a friend of Yeats.
-This poem was also adapted by the band, Keane in their 2006 song, A Bad Dream. The poem was read before each performance of the song during their recent tours.
Submitted by Geoffrey Farrell