Thursday, April 3, 2008

The RANT by J. hardy hanlon

The

 

R

A

n

T

Had to Have Known, Something, In The First Place To Have had

 

Remembered It. Where'd You get That Numb, James Joyce?

 

'Can't Believe My Ears Saint James Infirmary?

The Dearest

 

Little Social Climber, Mother. Named him, James.

 

And the Social Climb Took Years too But Could not Even See That Summit.

 

Then you can See for Ever And Ever, Damn Near, Forever up There.

 

What Ever Was she Thinking?

 

James the Great Pretender,

 

Oh Mother

 

Did you have To? Carry That Picture Of me in Your Wallet?

 

Yes it was I Then at age Five, Sixes & Sevens Always with you.

 

Smoking That Clay Meerschaum Not Really Smoking

 

One of Those St. Patrick's Day Parade Souvenirs

 

And There it Was Taped

 

Across the Little Photo That Mothers Show to Brag About The Brood

 

The Great Pretender. No Doubt She Must have Cut the words

 

Out of some Magazine. From the Top Ten List, it was

 

By the Platters And Then There was my Friend Janie Goldberg.

 

Her Mother's Name Really Was Molly Goldberg, But She Wasn't

 

The Famous Comedienne. No Comedy For Janie had Her Bones

 

To Pick too. Why Was it That I Would say Something so Foolish as

 

'Jews are so Frugal', She Demanded To Know 'An Admirable Trait,

 

I Think I Said.' 'Can't Believe my Ears, Such Bigotry.' 'And to Hear

 

This From a Friend', She Said. 'I Don't Think Being Frugal, as you Say

 

Is a Very Jewish Trait at All.' Well I Didn't say Like, 'I Jewed him Down

 

For a Price', nor Some Such Anything That I Would Consider

 

To be Bigotry I Said 'I Think Frugality is a Very Good Trait, Indeed.'

 

'And Maybe Its Because You Just are not so Particularly Jewish.'

 

Oh Please Just Stop Harping On it Will you?!' You Might not Think so

 

But You've Just Called me a Harp. Oh so What are you Going

 

To Tell me That you Play the Harp? The Irish are the Harps Janie Dear

 

Now who is The Bigot? Those Drunks They Keep Hauling of in the

 

Paddy Wagon 'Its not the Same. Oh yes It is. No not so Is that What

 

Irishmen Call It? Oh When it Suits them? Otherwise its Maybe you

 

Think its Jib-Irish or Malachi Too. Now These Things are Touchy oh

 

Just Stop the Rant and Re-Joyce! 'you Think What Wrote was

 

What-cha-ma-call-it, ah, Poetry?